AddThis

Discussion in 'Subrion CMS Plugins Discussion' started by Eleanna, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Eleanna

Eleanna Member

We have this tool on a business directory site, and after lots of hassle and the very much appreciated help from Subrion finally got this going. We are now trying to add the AddThis tool to one of our other sites, but find the AddThis instructions (?) on how to do this particularly useless. We got in touch with their "support" and I would rather not say what I think of that experience, might get chicked off the forum on the basis of bad language...
    Can anybody give us an idea how this works? the site in question is a real estate site working the the Subrion real estate package and we would like to see the social media buttons on each property page.
    Thanks
    Eleanna
  2. Gleb_S.

Gleb_S. Subrion Designer Staff Member

Hi Eleanna!

The process is as follows:
    1. Register on AddThis and go to your Dashboard
    2. In Tools section choose Sharing Buttons option.
    3. Configure buttons. Choose what you need, eg. Facebook, Google, Twitter.
    4. Copy code in both steps and paste it to this file: [root]/packages/realestate/templates/common/view.tpl. You can place code where you need it. Example: right after line 84.

Tricky part. We need to tell AddThis to pick only what we need.
    1. Open layout.tpl file of your template.
    2. In head section you need to place this code (example):
    Code (Text):

{if isset($item) && $item && !in_array($pageName, array('profile', 'view_member'))}
      <meta property="og:url" content="{$smarty.const.IA_SELF}">
      <meta property="og:title" content="{$item.title}">
      <meta property="og:image" content="{printImage imgfile=$item.gallery[0]['path'] url=true}">
      <meta property="og:description" content="{$item.description}">
    {/if}

This is OpenGraph format. You can read more about it here: http://ogp.me/

And this should do the trick. Please configure this code according to your website.

Thanks!
  3. Eleanna

Eleanna Member

Hi Gleb,

thanks. Haven't done it yet, but will have a go at it later when I hae the time. This is an excellent example of proper, good support. As it should be. thanks again!

UPDATE:

hmmm, did exactly what you said, and nothing shows anywhere...
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  4. Gleb_S.

5. Eleanna

Eleanna Member

Just updated the previous post...

hmmm, did exactly what you said, and nothing shows anywhere...
  6. Gleb_S.

Please provide me with live url to your page with AddThis code.
  7. Eleanna

Eleanna Member

8. Gleb_S.

Hi again!

I've managed to acces your website via FTP and I don't see any AddTHis code in view.tpl file... That's why it does not show up :)
  9. Eleanna

Eleanna Member

I've just checked both Layout.tpl and view.tpl. the code is there.

In layout ,tpl it's right under the <head> tag
    in view.tpl its on line 137
  10. Gleb_S.

You've placed code in package template file, while there is an override of this file in Restates template.
    We've added this code to that template and it now shows up.

Thanks.
  11. Eleanna

Eleanna Member

ok, excellent, thanks. Much appreciated, as always.
  12. Eleanna

Eleanna Member

We are still having serious problems with this, and the support of the AddThis people is simply non existing... So, can somebody please tell me how to get this to work properly...
    http://www.cretefocus.com/en/yellow...udios/19-Garifalo-Apartments-and-Studios.html
    the primary image on this page is 800 x 600px, well above the facebook recommended minimu 200 x 200px.
    This is what the scraper says it sees

upload_2015-3-24_8-11-34.png

which is the correct, 800 x 600px image (highlighted)

However, this is what it produces

upload_2015-3-24_8-6-8.png

And this is the excuse for giving the wrong image

upload_2015-3-24_8-7-2.png

However, we could live with that if it was indeed what would be produced...

On facebook, this is what is produced

upload_2015-3-24_8-8-13.png

NO IMAGE, not even the wrong one...

We have cleared the cache, both browser and server, but cannot get this thing to produce the correct image...
    upload_2015-3-24_8-16-3.png
    after many repeated attempts, we now get the correct image

but still a total blank on facebook itself.
  13. Eleanna

Eleanna Member

Has anybody got any idea why this simply will not work? We have done everything by the book, checked and rechecked, uploaded large images, well above the recommended 200 x 200 (Facebook) and 500 x 500 (Subrion), but fail to get the plugin to publish an image on Facebook. The preview we get is perfect (as in the above post), that image is 800 x 600px, but on facebook it doesn't show. All we get is a balnk box with the text underneath. This is seriously frustrating...
  14. Eleanna

Eleanna Member

Getting seriously disgusted with this. Not working, and neither the so called support team from Addthis, nor anybody here seems to be able(willing?) to help out on this one. What's the point of the plugin if it can't be made work?