Attention Advice needed

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Vasily_B., Mar 29, 2017.

1. Vasily_B.

Vasily_B. Project Manager

Hello,

We need your input on the following topic - do we need to clear template data after template reinstallation?

Let me explain how the system works now.

Every template has its own set of data... It might have own phrases, blocks, pages, etc. So when we install a template we add all this stuff to our default core content. When we reinstall (technically uninstall / install ) a template, the data gets deleted and then added again. So you lose the changes, you made to your template specific data - phrases, blocks, etc.

If we keep the changes, that would add even more mess - for example Kickstart has 4 bottom blocks. We have a lot of templates, that have the same blocks in footer blocks as well. Just imagine 12 extra blocks you never need if we choose between 3 templates for example and install all of them to make sure they fit the idea. Or keep template specific phrases in the system after a new template is installed - sounds weird, doesn't it?

Let us know your thoughts, please. As this is something we are going to improve for you asap.

Cheers
  2. js.mobil123

js.mobil123 New Member

I think it would be a good idea to seperate the block creation sections from the template installation. So one would have to install the template first, after that the "Quick-Start" content. For a production site handled by a client i right now would consider deleting those sections after installation.
    As for the blocks used in the different templates, you could think of a system of template types A, B, C etc. where templates of type A would have the same blocks etc.. So that way they would be interchangeable.
    Happy to see Subrion is evolving now fast.
    Cheers,
    Jessica
    Gleb_S. and Vasily_B. like this.
  3. Stanislav

Stanislav New Member

Можно создать в БД таблицу которая бы отвечала массиву шаблона. То есть те важно-значимые данные которые относятся к шаблону и были изменены заносятся в базу с ключами относительно выражении, блоков и т.д. и при установке считывать по старым ключам - если данные были изменены относительно этого ключа, то переустанавливать как новый элемент не нужно. Работа конечно кропотливая.
  4. js.mobil123

js.mobil123 New Member

For the same matter: I also would like to have a 'Clone' Button in the Pages and Blocks section. This could be also at the position of the 'Remove' button because I think it is redundant. It is there in the column already. Ok, I cannot remove several blocks at once, but who wants this anyway? Also being able to switch between active and inactive (Status) from the table would be very nice.
  5. Maybe you can:
    1. Create a header for templates that we install.
    2. Save the header information in the main subrion database and also in a second database.
    3. Create all templates to use the 'second database' to store our content with.
    4. When we re install the template, an import utility would read the header information from the main database which would have all the required information to know where to put the information.
    5. The 'second database' would then be re usable and will not interfere with the CORE.
    6. No mess. Having unused 12 templates won't be an issue. The job of the CORE would to keep neccessary tracking information so it can resync with the 'second database'.

Another similar idea is that before uninstalling a template, an export tool asks the user
    to save template content to a temporary database for restoration.
  6. olairmarcos

olairmarcos Member

My sugestion:
    Insert a selection button in the installation tempalte, if the user wants a clean installation (Yes / No) of the template.
    If you want a clean installation, the system reinscribes all the blocks with standard content of the template.
    If you do not want a clean installation, then the system keeps the existing blocks intact.
    The default selection is to keep the blocks intact, with the existing content.
    If there are additional blocks in the template, these blocks will be added to the site without changing existing blocks.
    Thanks for listening.
  7. SmaRTeY

SmaRTeY New Member

Would be nice to use 'loose-coupling' similar to what js.mobil123 mentions, staying clear from a 'mess' with new templates (or updating existing templates).
    Also in this case it would be possible to create one specific block that could be 'tied' to several theme pages at will, ie. create 1 Block A positioned left on 3rd position on Blog page and same Block A can be positioned on the rights side on 1st position of page FAQ etc. At this moment afaik we need to 'clone' blocks to achieve a left & right position for 1 block.

From user point of view, I do not want to clone blocks just to have them either on top, left, right or bottom. And at the same time in case of a theme update or theme change I would like to have the ability to re-use the existing 'theme data' knowing I will probably not be able to re-use everything due to the new theme architecture.
    It seems most is already in place to achieve this, I think you need a 'system' ie. theme meta-data architecture that enables this. Not sure if you need a second database, I think this can be done using one or more specific system tables in current db as well.

You would need to define a Subrion - meta-data grid architecture with themes based on Bootstrap framework for example. (since this is an auto-responsive architecture)
    Users would be able to position blocks within the theme grid as if they were putting together a jig-saw-puzzle playing arond with puzzle (content) blocks and the beauty is that this could be done in any other similar architectured theme.

A bit off-topic but related to iproving Subrion theming / plugin development, I do not have enough Subrion understanding yet but it would also be nice to have a Subrion system folder that holds default system helper functions which can be used theme/plugin creating.

Take a look at Osclass code on Github, they have a helpers folder which holds many standard functions categorised on their default entities that make it easy for theme and plugin creators to create new themes / plugins. I know Subrion also uses standards but I wonder if these are as organised at this moment?

Regards,
    Eric
    Gleb_S. likes this.