Analyzing upgrade log

Discussion in 'Installation & Upgrades' started by Vasily_B., Mar 14, 2015.

  1. Vasily_B.

    Vasily_B. Project Manager

    Greetings,

    Just a couple of words in regards to update system. How it works - that's easy to understand. When we release a new version, we get hash (checksum) of each core file. Let's say you have 3.2.7, when we release 3.3.0 patch it has all the hashes for each file in the system and if your file version does not match the hash we have (in human words - you modified the file somehow), the system does not overwrite the file by default. Instead we have a log in our uploads/ folder about each operation, upgrade performed.

    We've got a complaint about incorrect upgrade to 3.3.0 version. So what do we do to analyze and fix the issue? You might get a blank white page - ok, that simply means your debug mode is OFF. In order to see the errors, you need to enable debug mode in our system, that's includes/config.inc.php file. Lines 17-18:
    PHP:

    // debug mode: 0 - disabled, 1 - enabled
    define('INTELLI_DEBUG', 0);
     
    As stated in comment it should be set to 1.

    If we analyze the upgrade log file, uploads/upgrade-log-330_13-03-15-1829.txt in our case:
    What do we see here. All SQL queries are successful, except a couple of file operations, that's definitely the key of the problem:
    Obviously admin/templates/default/templates.tpl & js/debug/hl.css would not be the problem, one of them is used for admin panel templates page, css is only used for debug. So the issue is related to TWO files we have: ia.core.php & SmartyPlugins.class.php

    Simply create a copy of your current files, and then upload new files from 3.3.0 archive from our website. Voila! The issue is fixed - don't forget to apply some extra instructions, that always go with the upgrade announcement. Specifically, 3.3.0 version requires template changes.

    I don't know (and cannot even imagine) the reason, why core and smartyplugins files hashes don't match the previous version. Probably you modified them, probably that was our staff, who knows - I only advise to use FORCED mode if you're sure you never modified the files. In this case, the system skips hash checks. I also recommend to make backups (both hosting control panel side & subrion). In this case you will be able to recover your website easily if anything goes wrong.

    And finally, weekend is not the best time for upgrade. We highly recommend to make upgrades in the beginning of the week as you can always count on our help. As you all know we don't work on weekends (yeah, our cyborg batteries need recharging) and there is a high risk you don't get help in a timely manner.

    Cheers and have a great weekend!
  2. Eleanna

    Eleanna Member

    Thank you vor this. however, this bit
    "Simply create a copy of your current files, and then upload new files from 3.3.0 archive from our website. Voila! The issue is fixed - don't forget to apply some extra instructions, that always go with the upgrade announcement. Specifically, 3.3.0 version requires template changes."
    makes absolutely no sense to me. Once we've upgraded, and get the error messages, our "current files" are gone, aren't they. Their in the backup somewhere, no?
    There remain a few question though. Why did the back-up installation fail as well? And why does the Greek text, previously working, now suddenly show as gobbledeegook. Is the new set-up not UTF-8, and how do we make it so?
  3. Vasily_B.

    Vasily_B. Project Manager

    I'm sorry I don't understand this question.
    The backups are created before installation, so you should definitely have them. That's the purpose of backup - roll back files in case you have issues.
  4. Eleanna

    Eleanna Member

    Yes, i know, so really what this means is figuring out where the error is (which is not exactly easy for non-programmers like myself and presumably many other users), finding the files, copying them, and overwriting the error-files... A lot of work for something that is supposed to happen automatically....
    In this case, I know the site owners got a few modifications done by yourselves. They (or we) did not make any changes what-so-ever. Whatever changes were made by us are "cosmetics" and are in the user-style css file. SO... I can only assume that the changes to these two files were made by your guys when making the modifications. Would it therefore not make a lot more sense, when such changes are made, that we get told about this so we can have copies of these files ready BEFORE upgrading and save ourselves and our clients a lot of time, frustration and headaches? I think that should be standard practice to be honest. It would also avoid cheesed-off customers....

    But it still does not explain why, when the old version was re-installed, that did not work either...
  5. teletin_andrei

    teletin_andrei New Member

    Thank you for posting some of the encountered problems @Eleanna and THANK YOU Intelliants and Subrion Tean for providing assitence and solutions!
    It really helps new users such as myself.

    Cheers!
  6. Vasily_B.

    Vasily_B. Project Manager

    You're welcome, Andrew :)
    I really like what you've done with the default autos template :) Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions. It's always better to ask in advance, as the system provides a lot of stuff that's not documented well. It's pretty easy to work with it once you understand how it works.

Share This Page