Cannot Install Contact_us plugin into Subrion 4.1.1

Discussion in 'Subrion CMS Plugins Discussion' started by Helang_IT, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Helang_IT

Helang_IT New Member

Update: I have now confirmed that the Contact_Us form now works using PHP Mail or Sendmail delivery to localhost addresses only. It still does not work using SMTP.
  2. Vasily_B.

Vasily_B. Project Manager

Hi,

Thanks for your reports. They helped to reproduce one issue with SMTP emails.
    Now they work correctly both on your website and our software.

We consider the issue resolved. Thanks again.
    Helang_IT likes this.
  3. Helang_IT

Helang_IT New Member

Many thanks for looking into this Vasily.

Again, awesome support and the SMTP function works fine now.
  4. Vasily_B.

I'm happy to assist. There was another issue in contact us plugin, as it used sender email as sent from value. Mail servers have many restrictions now, so we use general emailFrom used in the software.
  5. Helang_IT

Helang_IT New Member

Yes I notice that too. It won't be a problem sending to local mailboxes on the same server, but would be a problem if the mail were relayed externally.

When you say:
    Do you mean you are now using the "Default Site Email" in the System -> Mail menu? (This is the same as the SMTP account I am now using)

upload_2017-3-16_5-32-37.png

Did you fix that on the contact plugin on my site, or do I need to edit the code?

Also, with reference to the above picture, do I have to include the BCC auto emails to (Nobody) or can I remove that now? (I put this in because of the earlier error in phpmail that didn't seem to like that field being left empty.)

Regards
  6. Vasily_B.

Hi,

Yes, exactly. It used to work this way. When a visitor tried to contact you, the email was sent through the website settings, but it actually used visitor email and fullname (used in contact request) for From name and From email field. This way now does not work and emails are sent using general email settings

Not sure if we fixed :) As far as I remember we resolved that for you through helpdesk. If not please confirm.

You can get rid of Nobody.

Cheers
  7. Helang_IT

Helang_IT New Member

Hi @Vasily_B.

Thanks for this.

Actually the behaviour you describe is desireable.

Messages left via our contact form are now delivered to [email protected]

All emails received by [email protected] are forwarded to the relevant local recipient and also to an autoresponder that sends an acknowledgement email to the FROM address. If the contact form were only to use the generic site address, then the autoresponder would be unable to acknowledge receipt.

I realise that if the contact form were to deliver an email directly to a third party email address (offsite), then it should have a FROM address that is from the sending domain, or it may be rejected as SPAM. In this case, the general site address may be appropriate.

However, in our scenario, the emails are delivered to a local email address, which is trusted as being from localhost. Therefore we would like to continue using the email given in the contact form as the "From" address to enable the correct autoresponse.

Given these two possible scenarios, maybe you would consider providing an option in the settings page for the contact form, to use either the senders email address or the site email address according to the site administrator's preference?

Regards
  8. GrantWilson

GrantWilson New Member

Hello,

I have installed the latest version of the Contact us plugin (Version: 4.2.1) with my Subrion 3.3.5 - Now I have error 403. Should I upgrade Subrion? How can I fix this? Thanks.