Google Mobile Site Update

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by ganodan, Apr 15, 2015.

1. ganodan

ganodan New Member

From April 21st, any sites that does not pass the mobile friendly test will be dropped from Google's search results when a person is using a mobile device.

Does your site pass the test??

https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/mobile-friendly/

Mine failed :(

Version 3.2.7
    Template, Shedar
    Package, Articles
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  2. Eleanna

Eleanna Member

We passed!
    version 3.3.2
    template ypGo
    Package: Yellow pages
    Vasily_B. and ganodan like this.
  3. Vasily_B.

Vasily_B. Project Manager

Both, subrion.com & subrion.org are green. Intelliants.com is also green.

In regards to templates. We will try to make them all mobile friendly so you could pass the test by default.

Thanks for sharing
  4. Eleanna

Eleanna Member

www.garifalohotel.com FAILED the google mobile test. Uses Startup template. Can this be made mobile friendly?
  5. Gleb_S.

Gleb_S. Subrion Designer Staff Member

6. Eleanna

Eleanna Member

Hi Gleb,
    sorry, I'm not with you on this one. What styles are you talking about? As far as I know all that was changed was the image. But there are serious problems with this. If you look at the site using an android device, the blocks on the left overlap into the centre of the page, hding some of the text, the translator doesn't show the dropdown list etc.
  7. Gleb_S.

@Eleanna ,
    Can not check your website as it is closed :)
  8. Eleanna

Eleanna Member

Ooops sorry. I've created a ticket for this.
  9. wazza

wazza Member

10. wazza

wazza Member

It also allows you to download optimized files such as images css and js
  11. wazza

wazza Member

just fixed issues with a few of my sites
  12. wazza

wazza Member

well when i say fixed. I mean google see them as friendly. How ever they dont display correctly on my phone :-(
  13. wazza

wazza Member

Hi Eleanns,
    Seems to to a problem with the iframe

HTML:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tCceAtHbthk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Code (CSS):
    /* Smartphones (landscape) ----------- */
    @media only screen and (min-width : 321px) {
    /* Styles */
    .video-container {
    position: relative;
    padding-bottom: 56.25%;
    padding-top: 35px;
    height: 0;
    overflow: hidden;
    }
    .video-container iframe {
    position: absolute;
    top:0;
    left: 0;
    width: 100%;
    height: 100%;
      }
    }
    /* Smartphones (portrait) ----------- */
    @media only screen and (max-width : 320px) {
    /* Styles */
    .video-container {
    position: relative;
    padding-bottom: 56.25%;
    padding-top: 35px;
    height: 0;
    overflow: hidden;
    }
    .video-container iframe {
    position: absolute;
    top:0;
    left: 0;
    width: 100%;
    height: 100%;
      }
    }

Use this in your user-styles css file
    Will depend on template as to what styling needs doing
    If you use the code above you will also need to wrap your iframe in
    <video-container></video-container>
    Last edited: May 21, 2015
  14. wazza

wazza Member

I have a few sites working quite well on smart phones now:rolleyes:
  15. tomukasteris

tomukasteris New Member

Hello Gleb,

Your test shows that demo website passed just because of that that 21 style sheet files Google couldn't get because is blocked:
    I don't understand how you can post like this if you haven't look yourself what results you have got? You just saw green sign and you think is all ok. If Google can't get these 21 resources site will not rank well.

Talking about Subrion templates all of them do not met modern requirements and look very messy especially on smartphones! All your templates old fashion. You still use Bootstrap 2.3.x but the latest version is 3.3.4 and that means that you yourself struggle to make nice and responsive templates.

Admin dashboard on smartphone looks completely rubbish!

Buy nice theme from Themeforest.net and make nice template.

My advise, don't be lassy, make good product and the rest will come!
    Vasily_B. likes this.
  16. Gleb_S.

17. Vasily_B.

Vasily_B. Project Manager

My two cents on this.

No doubt @tomukasteris is right about templates. Most of them don't look that great on mobile templates. We should make more/better templates, especially for commercial packages. And we do have plans for this...

Just a brief historical overview. When we started Subrion 3.x with the new updated dashboard and new template structure we used the latest Bootstrap stable version for the templates. It was 2.3.2 at the moment. Version 3 of Bootstrap was not stable, and Mark Otto at Bootstrap still had some plans to improve 3.0 version. We were able to use Bootstrap 3 in admin dashboard as it only has one template, no plugins & packages support that have own classes & decoration. So generally that is the reason why we didn't go with Bootstrap 3 originally. We should think of all customers, and we have some requests to keep the system compatible with the older browsers as some people in Asia, Africa still require IE7 support, etc.

Now we use Bootstrap 3 for the custom projects when we control the whole process. When we know the exact plugins, set of functionality, etc. We have no problems with making a cool mobile responsive version for our customers. Anyhow, it all takes much time. Subrion is not a core system only, it has many plugins, packages, and templates and we do have limited resources to update all this stuff frequently. For example a complete switch to Bootstrap 3 would take about 3 working weeks of the whole, that's something we cannot afford at the moment. And I only mean re-factoring, not taking into an account improvements for mobile devices. We discussed this move a couple of days ago, btw but now we are waiting for Bootstrap 4 to jump into a train. Once the stable version is released we will consider an upgrade of ALL our extensions & core version to it.

here are some recent project made on bootstrap 3 powered on our system:
    http://valuta.kg/
    http://jgroup.kg/

I'm sure Gleb can show more links of a great mobile experience he has completed recently.
  18. wazza

wazza Member

19. Eleanna

Eleanna Member

@wazza, thanks for the feedback. I'll get cracking on that soon. Right now TOOOOO busy with new grand child. Priorities.... :) Back to planet earth on Monday or Tuesday...
  20. wazza

wazza Member

Congrats Eleanna and to the new Mum :D