google sitemap plugin question?

Discussion in 'Subrion CMS Plugins Discussion' started by craig, Aug 31, 2009.

1. craig

craig New Member

does anyone know about the 10mB or 50000 url list limit that google adheres to.
    The plugin in the software produces a file called sitemap.xml for google if the limit of 10mB or 50000 urls is reached does the plugin produce a new sitemap or does it keep adding to the file sitemap.xml??

:confused::eek:
  2. Vasily_B.

Vasily_B. Project Manager

"Google Sitemap" plugin leave out of account these limits. It writes all the links into one file.
  3. craig

craig New Member

the reason i ask is that with one site i used to have the sitemap never seemed to be used i could understand why because other sites i had the sitemap urls indexed after a long time were about 90% + but this one was around 2%. one day i noticed the software i used for the sitemap produced one sitemap when it should have done four. And google says in its policy teh following

* A Sitemap can contain a list of URLs or a list of Sitemaps.
    * If your Sitemap contains a list of other Sitemaps, you should save it as a Sitemap index file and use the XML format provided for that file type. A Sitemap index file cannot list more than 50,000 Sitemaps.
    * A Sitemap file can contain no more than 50,000 URLs and be no larger than 10MB when uncompressed. If your Sitemap is larger than this, break it into several smaller Sitemaps. These limits help ensure that your web server is not overloaded by serving large files to Google.
    * Specify all URLs using the same syntax. For instance, if you specify your site location as Example Web Page, your URL list should not contain URLs that begin with Example Web Page. And if you specify your site location as Example Web Page, your URL list should not contain URLs that begin with Example Web Page.
    * Do not include session IDs in URLs.
    * Do not include direct image URLs in Sitemaps. Google does not index the image directly; instead, we index the page on which the image appears. Direct image URLs included in Sitemaps won't be indexed.
    * The Sitemap URL must be encoded for readability by the webserver on which it is located. In addition, it can contain only ASCII characters. It can't contain upper ASCII characters or certain control codes or special characters such as * and {}. If your Sitemap URL contains these characters, you'll receive an error when you try to add it.