Moving servers

Discussion in 'Subrion CMS Packages Discussions' started by Eleanna, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Eleanna

Eleanna Member

The ISP for one of our Subrion clients has told the client that they are going to migrate the site to a new, much faster server. They will take care of the migration process. I do however assume that this will necessitate some changes to the config file, and possibly the database? I would appreciate it if somebody could tell me which changes will be neede and were to make them. The migration is going to happen over the week-end, so a speedy reply would be most welcome.
    Thanks
    eleanna
  2. Vasily_B.

Vasily_B. Project Manager

Hi Eleanna,

The migration is easy. Involves a couple of steps though:

1. Move all your files to your new server
    2. Move your database
    3. Update includes/config.inc.php if DB details are changed (optional)

I suppose it's all under the same URL, so you don't need to update config base_url record.

Delete all files and folders in tmp/ once the instructions above are completed.

Cheers
  3. wazza

wazza Member

If the ISP takes care of it and have informed clients that they will do it. There shouldnt be any problems at all.

I run my own webhosting company and this is not a hard to do.

REgards,
    Quentin
    Vasily_B. likes this.
  4. Eleanna

Eleanna Member

Thanks. IT is indeed all under the same URL. The ISP has indeed stated that they will take care of it, but also said that the connection strings with the new MySQL host will need to be made, which they will not do.. Hence my thinking I will need to make some changes to the config file.
  5. Vasily_B.

Yes, so basic includes/config.inc.php changes + tmp/ clear would be enough in your case.
  6. wazza

wazza Member

Only if they have a different setup. Which they probably do under shared hosting. But they should be able to migrate without a hitch.
    Only issue i can see is if they change any prefixes. My guess is they will duplicate the original server. (therefore no changes needed)
  7. wazza

wazza Member

basically just a big backup and restore :D
  8. Eleanna

Eleanna Member

From what they say, this is a major change. They are adement that the connection strings will be different and need to be changed. They will shift all this for the clinet, but it will contain the old strings. They will do the backup and restore basically.
    They specify that it is "MySQLHost" that will need to be updated. So, I suppose I find this in includes/config.inc.php.
  9. Vasily_B.

Exactly :)
  10. usmex

usmex New Member

Hi there,
    I am moving to a different server. I need to first make sure everything works fine before pointing my domain to the new nameservers. So I need to be able to configure Subrion to use the temporary URL. I would highly appreciate directions on how to do this. What is the name of the php file I need to edit, what is the path where it is located and how do I edit it? Thanks so much in advance.
  11. Vasily_B.

Hi,

In order to switch the server you need to do the following:

1. Move all the files to the new server
    2. Delete all the contents in your tmp/ folder
    3. Update includes/config.inc.php file with the new details to database
    4. Make backup of your database and import it in the new DB created on your new server
    5. Update your config table, specifically baseurl value with the new URL (it might be your IP address, or temp URL given by hosting)

Once you make sure it's working fine you can point your nameservers to the new hosting, that's it.