Optimising www. redirects

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by jacobford, Jul 10, 2015.

1. jacobford

jacobford New Member

Hello,

So I've got a fresh site that Google seems to be having trouble with.

On the non-www version, the crawler is complaining of DNS issues. Now I'm not 100% sure if the DNS really is a problem or whether the redirect is the problem.

When I try to fetch as google, this is the "error" message I get:

Code (Text):

HTTP/1.1 302 Found
    Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2015 xx:xx:xx GMT
    Server: Apache mod_fcgid/2.3.9
    X-Powered-By: PHP/5.4.27
    Expires: Thu, 19 Nov 1981 08:52:00 GMT
    Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate, post-check=0, pre-check=0
    Pragma: no-cache
    Set-Cookie: INTELLI_<MASKED FOR PRIVACY>; expires=Sat, 11-Jul-2015 xx.xx.xx GMT; path=/; domain=.mydomain.net; HttpOnly
    Content-Length: 0
    Keep-Alive: timeout=3, max=100
    Connection: Keep-Alive
    Content-Type: text/html

I tried to create a 301 redirect with my host but it warned that it would result in an infinite loop as www and non-www are the same location.

How should I go about making this more SEO friendly for Google crawler? Luckily a positive for Bing is that they seem to treat non-www and www as the same site.
  2. Vasily_B.

Vasily_B. Project Manager

Hi Jacob,

Generally that's not a problem for Google to identify both www and non-www version as one website.
    Anyhow, it's recommended for both bing & google (and other search engines) to have just one version of the website. It's also more user friendly for users I'd say.
    So you just decide whether you need a www version, or non www. (for example we personally prefer www. versions for our websites, like www.subrion.org, www.subrion.com, etc.) but you should only setup htaccess redirection so when your visitors open domain.com they get redirected to www. version.
    In this case you won't have any infinite loops with our software.
  3. jacobford

jacobford New Member

Hi Vasily,

I agree with www. Not sure why but it 'looks' better. You can automatically tell that you're referring to a website / link (not just for humans but robots tend to pick up better on www. as an URL too!)

Yes I went with the htaccess redirect and it's working fine.

Thanks
  4. Vasily_B.

Vasily_B. Project Manager

Ok, great you solved this.