Obsolete Plugin Installation Manual

Discussion in 'Subrion CMS Plugins Discussion' started by Vasily B., Jun 4, 2008.

1. Vasily_B.

Vasily_B. Project Manager

OBSOLETE STUFF:

Greetings,

Here I will try to explain how to install Subrion CMS plugins. Most plugins for Subrion can be installed pretty easy and they don't require any code changes. Plugin installation costs of 3 major steps.

1. Upload plugin
    2. Install in admin panel
    3. Modify .htaccess file

Detailed explanation how to install Subrion CMS plugins

1. Upload plugin step
    First of all you should download a plugin you need from Subrion.com downloads area. You should save it to your pc and unpack using any archiver that supports zip format.
    You will see a directory. Now you should connect to your server and upload this directory to your Subrion script plugins/ directory

2. Install in admin panel step
    Now login to your admin panel and click Manage Plugins link. You will see this plugin in a list of non-installed plugins. Click Install Plugin icon and that's all

3. Modify .htaccess file step [optional]
    Some plugins require .htaccess changes. If your plugin requires .htaccess changes you should click Configuration and copy generated .htaccess instructions in your .htaccess file

That's all. Your plugin should be installed. If you have any questions you can contact us anytime
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  2. Vasily_B.

About 1-st step, it may confuse somebody.
    When you unzip downloaded plugin, you will see directory 'upload_XXXXXXXXXXXX' (where XXXXXXXXXXXX - your license code), you should not download this directory, but 'plugins' directory inside.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2008
  3. Vasily_B.

Yep, thanks for the clarifying that Sergey.
  4. dstemper

dstemper Member

If you guys ever need a technical writer, let me know. I will do it for services or software.
  5. Vasily_B.

Thank you for offer, David. We'll bear in mind that.
  6. webgas

webgas New Member

Hi,
    How to know what plugin require .htaccess changes ?
    Thanks,
    CV
  7. Vasily_B.

Hi welcome to our support forums

That's easy to understand. Just pay attention to messages after plugin installation. If a plugin requires .htaccess modification you will be informed about this.
  8. zacwoe

zacwoe New Member

I am faced with the same issue as Webgas.
    Isn't there a possibility to make the .htaccess file change automatically?

Furthermore I did some change in the .htaccess file to have Name.com - Domain Name Registration pointing at Name.com - Domain Name Registration. But each time I install a new plugin I loose this changes, and need to re-do them.
    I guess it should be a way that would allow the webmaster not ot touch this .htaccess file.
    Any hints?
  9. Vasily_B.

Hi,
    This can be done. In our 1.0.00 version you can set writable permissions for your .htaccess file and all the changes will done automatically. Don't worry about the same message to rebuild the file. It is rebuilt if you have writable permissions. The message is also fixed in our future version
    Well, there are quite few persons who make manual changes in our .htaccess Anyway right now there is no any chance to avoid file modifications :( But you can add your instructions in DB so they still exist after each rebuild process. Please make changes in config table - you will see .htaccess lines there
  10. dstemper

dstemper Member

I am making a tutorial on this as we speak, the How to install a package on Subrion Video Tutorial shows how this is done.
  11. Vasily_B.

Thanks for it, David. I have just made it available from our Documentation section.
  12. Vasily_B.

Hi all,

Plugin installation is much easier since 2.3 version release. Now you can install any free plugin directly in admin panel -> Manage Plugins. You should only choose Remote plugins type and then click Install.

Paid plugins are installed in the same way like you did before.

Thanks!