Attention Poll: Installation method you prefer

Discussion in 'Installation & Upgrades' started by Vasily_B., Nov 29, 2016.

?

How do you install Subrion CMS?

1. Source files from Downloads

52.2%
  2. Softaculous

34.8%
  3. Installatron

4.3%
  4. One file installer

21.7%
  5. Docker Image

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Vasily_B.

Vasily_B. Project Manager

Hello,

As you probably noticed we added a couple of alternative methods recently. Specifically installation using one file installer and Docker image for Subrion CMS. Of course it's an addition to the traditional ways using source files, Softaculous, & Installatron.

I wonder what installation method you prefer and why. Thanks
  2. VioletB

VioletB New Member

I like Softaculous best by far for installing. This is not just because the ease of installation (although that's a big part of it). It's also the fact that when I install anything via Softaculous, I have the option to create automated rotating backups, which I always do. Softaculous backups contain files and database, and the whole website can be restored in just 1 click if need be. Softaculous also lets me create on-demand backups, which I do if I'm about to make a big change to my website.

If somehow I managed to totally screw up my website, I can just go back to my last Softaculous backup and restore it into whatever directory it came from in 1 click. I had to actually do this one time when I was trying to update an OpenCart site that I own and it went badly. I was so relieved to be able to go back to the last backup with only about 5 mins downtime total! The value of this was huge - it had taken me a long time to customize my site.

I feel so very strongly about the usefulness of Softaculous as a backup and recovery tool that I only use Softaculous for my installs. If a CMS isn't offered on Softaculous, I just don't use that CMS.

I was impressed with the ease of installing Subrion via Softaculous; I did this in an SSL environment and it all went smoothly. Thank you for offering this CMS on Softaculous.
    Vasily_B., Dayir_A. and Andrew_G. like this.
  3. olairmarcos

olairmarcos Member

I like Softaculous. The entire installation, upgrade, backup process is automated.
  4. Helang_IT

Helang_IT New Member

Softaculous is included in my ISP Cpanel, so I don't have any choice.

If I were installing this on, say, apache with root admin rights, then a single file installer or yum/apt even better!
  5. fredmj

fredmj New Member

Hello,

I'm not a professional of CMS usage, but generally I like the manual installation process, since I like to know what I'm doing.
    Especially on production server separated from the outside world during installation phase.
    My prefered tool is yum, cause really like the CentOS platform.
    But I have to acknowledge that a tool like 'composer' or something like a git procedure (as croogo is offering for sample) could be also a nice alternative.
    This said, Docker and Softaculous are still great services.
    Vasily_B. and Dayir_A. like this.
  6. Vasily_B.

Vasily_B. Project Manager

Hi @fredmj

thanks for sharing your experience.

I also used to be a great fan of CentOS, as it was a de-facto standard for LAMP server. Now I often meet ubuntu based servers, and they are also easy to maintain and operate.
    Recently we migrated some of our websites to a dockerized approach and I must also say it's great. Isolated environments are cool when you have a lot of things :)

Cheers
  7. petersh

petersh New Member

I am a new user, but I always choose to install from the download. Automatic installation may make it easier. But I think Download installation will help me control the process better. If there are some issues, I may understand the reason soon
    Vasily_B. likes this.