Trade Contractor Package - Dashboard Screenshot

Discussion in 'Third Party Packages' started by wazza, Dec 8, 2014.

1. wazza

wazza Member

contractor_pro_dash.png
    Its loosely based on a few different scripts around the web. (Which i found most lacking many features)
    I couldn`t find any thing that was capable of doing everything needed for a Trade based business.

Going to be quite a bit of work involved. Just wondering if anybody had any input?
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
    Vasily_B. likes this.
  2. Vasily_B.

Vasily_B. Project Manager

Hi Quentin,

That seems to be a huge amount of work. Honestly I don't quite understand the case when you need this type of software. Could you please explain briefly what type of business tasks it solves so we could have a better idea of what it's used for.

Thanks!
  3. wazza

wazza Member

Basically it is geared towards (Trade Contractors/ Sub Contractors) Could be anything from Builders / Concreters / Plumbers / Pretty much any type of trade.

1. To keep financial records, generate reports etc for tax purposes. (Income Reports, Profit and Loss Reports etc) which can then be handed to a tax agent.

2. Contract Level Billing (Quick and easy way to set up contracts)

3. Organizing customers by type (Residential customers, business customers)

4. Schedules (Like the events calander) but for setting up weekly schedules for work to be preformed for that week/ month etc.

5. Document storage. To keep downloadable/ sendable records of SWMS, Licenses etc for quick deployment to business customers. etc that most contractors are required to have to work on many sites (Australia)

6. Management of Employees and ability to assign each employee to a Crew. (for example if a job requires 4 men on the day then can assign 4 men to the crew) Just away to keep track of what and where employees are.

7. Management of equipment. (IE In the field, In Service, In Maintenance) To know if equipment is avaliable and what job it is on.

Quite a bit more but hopefully this explains a little
  4. Eleanna

Eleanna Member

I'm looking at this, and what I see is quickbooks in a different jacket. It's of course hard to say from 1 screenshot, but all the functionality that I think is visible on the screenshot is incorporated in Quickbooks pro and Enterprise, which also offers a pay roll, customized reporting to pull any data in any shape or form, highly effective visulas,etc. etc. And it handles all the various requirments for specific tax reporting, rates, etc. Without any hassle. I've used it for years, and it's by far the best business management package going. No offence meant Quentin, but why re-invent the wheel?
  5. wazza

wazza Member

Hi eleanna,
    No offence taken :D
    I wanted to create something that could be used in the field (Iphone, Andriod down the track)
    To be honest I have never used quickbooks. (maybe i should have been all these years)
    Also wanted a way to bill / invoice pretty much onsite.
    Also wanted a web interface for customers and employees.
    So customers could view / download invoices etc.
    So employees could submit time sheets etc

If this makes sense. If this wont be any interest to the subrion community i may just create this for in house use only.
    Anyways thanks for the thoughts.
  6. Eleanna

Eleanna Member

Everything you have mentioned so far is perfectly up and running in QB, honestly. Check out the Enterprise version, with the Field management service module, the billing and mobile payment module which tracks tools on sites etc. And it even works in multi currency mode. I used to work for a huge construction company building motorways, tunnels, suspension bridges and other such toys. That's what we used. Maybe there were a few custom made modules as well, that I don't know, but everything you have mentioned so far is avaialble, straight out of the box, or in the cloud... Really, check it out, you're in for a nice surprise, and far less work :)
  7. wazza

wazza Member

thanks eleanna. Ill take a look.
  8. wazza

wazza Member

Hi Elanna,
    Just been looking at the Quickbooks online. It does seem to have about 85% of the fuctionalty i need. Doesnt seem to handle scheduling? also wanted the ability to add properties for customers. (For example customers with investment properties that require work. or even real estate agents for maintenance work where multiple properties would apply)

Ill keep playing with quickbooks as it looks like something i can use now.
  9. Eleanna

Eleanna Member

Hi Quentin,

it does handle scheduling, can't remember in which module, but it does. It is also highly customisable. There are a good few people around who specialize in customizing quickbooks to specific needs. I once met a bookseller, who was selling an average of 48 books a day on Amazon. He had a little module written for him which pulled all the Amazon data in, created new customers in quickbooks when needed, and it fired out a proper, legal invoice in pdf format to those customers. Every night at exactly midnight the module would run. It saved him tonnes of work. So impressive I married him :)
    What you want is the enterprise version, comes with a lot of bolt-ons.
  10. wazza

wazza Member

ahh ok thanks...ill check into it some more. Thanks!
  11. wazza

wazza Member

I have decided to use Quickbooks as it is basically what i need for now. (You don`t want to know what i was using :D)

I have also decided to keep developing the package as I like to have everything in one place and would rather have this sort of information stored on my own server.
    (nice to be specific to Subrion as well)

I don`t expect it to rival Quickbooks or any of the major players just think the same functionality can be applied at maybe a fraction of the cost of quickbooks.

I also thought about what Eleanna said about re-inventing the wheel and i believe that any package that is created for Subrion would basically be reinventing the wheel as there are numerous ( Directory, Realestate, Coupons etc) scripts out there.

Thoughts?

Regards,
    Quentin
  12. Eleanna

Eleanna Member

Ahh, I'll have to get in touch with the quickbooks people now and claim my commission :D
    I take your point on development, there are indeed many, many similar things about, each with their own specific "unique" bits. Taking the "re-inventing the wheel" comment literally would indeed mean don't do anything unless it does not exist already in some shape or form, which is indeed ridiculous. But when I read your short description of what you are after, I just saw an almost verbatim summary of Quickbook enterprise. Which is extremely reasonable in price compared to stuff like Sage or Enterprise, and far more user friendly. I have been subjected to the torture of the others.... While you are going to play with this, check out the VAT set up. We've talked about this before, briefly. It will give you a really good idea of what you are letting yourself in for if you are going to incorporate an invoicing system that could be used by European contractors. Have the Valium handy :eek:
  13. wazza

wazza Member

haha you should hit them up for your commission :D .

Yea i did look last time you mentioned VAT. Im guessing this would have to be updated regularly or just stay clear of that market. (Probably some thing to look at once there is a functioning package. (For my market at least)

I think really with the package it may be better to gear towards certain trades. For example i have been a concreter for the past 20+ years and everything is calculated in square meters (Certain things calculated in lineal meters).

Which would apply to a number of trades or at least part of an equation for a particular job (Builders).

I do already have a quotation system in place that will supply estimates to my customer base (Concreting, Fencing, Lawn Mowing, Turf Laying, Gyprock Installation (or Drywall as you guys call it.) With some obvious differences that i have added into the system myself. (Such as earthworks, Concrete pump hire etc)

I also thought that a per hour rate would apply to other trade types (ie. Plumbers, Electricians) and they would need to estimate time involved for their quotations + a markup or percentage on the total cost of the job. (Not 100% sure how they quote, but have friends in these trades i can ask)
  14. Eleanna

Eleanna Member

VAT is a mine field, without a chart for the mines... So many variables it's outrageous. And then you also have that real insanity called "Intrastat". If you're talking contractors, you could be talking serious imports etc. Enter Intrastat. Have a gander and be cured of an notion of writing your own package without being a total expert on EU tax laws, down to the minutest details. On the other hand, if you do become an expert, the sky is the limit. Lots of room for creative accountancy :D