What's the difference?

Discussion in 'Article Script / Article Directory Script' started by Greg, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Greg

Greg Super Moderator

Howdy

What's the difference between "New Articles" and "Latest Articles" ?
    Seem the same to me.

Thanks
  2. ivanvieira

ivanvieira New Member

@Greg ,

I am responding as a user, but the Subrion team should correct me if I'm going incorrect information.

"Latest Articles": appears on the left, limited to the settings for "Number of articles per block" and shows less information about the article.

"New Articles": appears on the bottom (content/center), limited by the settings "Number of articles in New Articles block" and list items with the article brief template, providing more information and the featured image.

I believe that the goal is to provide the user the flexibility to display the latest articles in different ways: more detailed information and more articles in the listing, and fewer articles with summary information on the homepage.
  3. Greg

Greg Super Moderator

Thanks ivan. :)

Also, to me at least. New Articles looks to be designed to be located at the very top, top, bottom and very bottom blocks. In either the left or right columns it displays crappy. With the best template (to me anyways) to use for the best appearance is the Magazine template. The new articles run horizontal. Where in the other templates they run vertical. Of course I could be wrong. ;)
  4. Andrew_G.

Andrew_G. Staff Member

Hello @Greg ,

Let me explain the difference between Latest articles and New articles blocks in details.

Latest articles and New articles blocks has the same set of data. Difference only in the Visual part.

Latest articles block is intended to be placed to Left or Right column on internal pages of your site.
    New articles block is intended to be placed to Verytop or Verybottom, Top or Bottom position on Main (most likely Home) page of your site.

Magazine (unlike Kickstart) template has custom view of the New articles block: 4 entries in a row.

BTW, as @ivanvieira noted, the quantity of articles in the New articles block is set by 'Number of articles in New Articles block' config (Subrion Admin Panel -> Publishing -> Settings (cogwheel icon)) and quantity of articles in the Latest articles block is set by common 'Number of articles per block' config.

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions.
  5. Greg

Greg Super Moderator

That's the same conclusion I came to. Another question.Is it possibe in anyway to have New Articles category specific? Such as, New Articles for lets say, Food. So that New Articles for the food category you could have in a new block just for that category. And to be able to do the same with other categories. Hope that makes sense
  6. Andrew_G.

Andrew_G. Staff Member

Hi @Greg ,

New articles block that will contain only articles of the current category doesn't make sense due to the fact that on any View Category page you already see new articles first (articles are orderered by date DESC).

Anyway, thanks for your suggestion.
  7. Greg

Greg Super Moderator

Yeah, that was sure a dumb question on my part. :oops:

Sorry Andrew
  8. Andrew_G.

Andrew_G. Staff Member

No problem, @Greg .

I'm here to advise. Please don't be shy and ask any questions you have.